If you’re searching for the best soccer ball to buy, then informed decisions are crucial.
In this post, we’ll teach you everything about occer ball sizes and weights.
You’ll definitely choose the right size, after reading the information here and checking out our detailed soccer ball size chart.
Learn all about official soccer ball sizes and weights, specifications, age groups each of them correlates to, utilities and inflation best practices.
Soccer Ball Sizes & Weights Chart
What You’ll Learn From This Post:
- Soccer ball sizes & weights chart.
- Ball sizes and age groups.
- How to choose the right ball size.
- Match ball sizes & uses.
- Special sizes & utilities.
- How to inflate a soccer ball.
Ball Sizes and Age Groups
- Size 1 & 2: Skills/Promotional soccer balls
- Size 3: 8 years old and younger
- Size 4: From 8 to 12 years old
- Size 5: From 12 years old up
How to Choose the Right Soccer Ball Size
Figuring out which size to pick is an important move.
It must be your first move before you actually go and buy one.
Pay Attention to Your Age Group
You need to know which age group is the ball going to be used with.
Consult with your organization or coach to learn which is the proper soccer ball size for your age group.
Different soccer leagues may use different sizes.
Match Ball Sizes & Uses
When it comes to using a soccer ball during a match, there are three different sizes. They range from size 3 to size 5.
Let’s take a look (refer back to the soccer ball size chart above):
Ball Size 3
- These are the smallest soccer balls available for match games. (Standard for Handball.)
- Usually used by children under 8 years old.
- Size 3 balls measure 23-24 inches (58-60 centimeters) in circumference and weigh 11-12 ounces (312-340 grams).
Ball Size 4
- These are the medium size soccer balls available for match games. (Standard for Futsal.)
- Generally used by children between the ages of 8-12 years old.
- Size 4 balls measure 25-26 inches (63.5-66 centimeters) in circumference and weigh 12-13 ounces (340-369 grams).
Ball Size 5
- This is the standard international match ball size.
- Used by ages from 12 years old up.
- Size 5 balls measure 27-28 inches (68-70 centimeters) in circumference and weigh 14-16 ounces (410-450 grams).
Law 2 of Association Football (soccer) specifies the rules and directions of the football (ball).
Special Sizes & Utilities
There are too extra flavors besides those used on soccer matches (referred above).
Here they are and what uses or utilities they represent.
Ball Size 1
- Nike calls it a “Pee-Wee” type ball.
- It’s used as a skills ball for all ages. And it is also recommended for small children just to play around.
- Size 1 balls measure 18-20 inches (45-51 centimeters) in circumference.
Ball Size 2
- This is a MIDI type ball.
- It’s used for all ages.
- Size 2 balls measure 20-22 inches (51-56 centimeters) in circumference.
How to Inflate a Soccer Ball
Taking care of your soccer ball will prolong its life and ensure a better use experience.
Using proper air pressure and inflating it the right way is part of your ball care routines.
Learn how to best inflate your soccer ball by following these instructions.
- First things first. Before anything else unfold your soccer ball with both hands so that its bladder “walls” become separated making it softer and easier for the air to get in.
- Now apply a drop of silicon oil into the valve so you can inflate it much easily.
- Be careful when inserting and pushing the inflation pump needle into and inside the valve. You don’t to damage the bladder nor the valve.
- Inflate your soccer ball firstly up to 0.6 bar and let it rest for 5 minutes before inflating it to the recommend pressure.
- Throw the ball against the ground and see if it bounces well. Press your thumbs against its surface to confirm it is nicely inflated.
- Don’t ever over inflate it. I’ve done that, unfortunately. The bladder was so hard it teared the panels apart.
- Keep your inflation needle in a safe place so it doesn’t get damaged.
- Time for the fun part. Let’s play ball.
Here you found a detailed informational post about soccer ball sizes and weights along with their uses and other utilites.
I’ve also talked about soccer ball air presure and how to best inflate them.
I trust my soccer ball size chart may have helped you select the correct size and weight for your next ball.
All of this information is important when you’re looking to get the best ball for your particular needs and how to best take care of it.